Going Desk-less

After teaching for 3 years in the Middle School, this year I was transferred to the High School. The room included a huge metal desk that would be great in a normal sized classroom. My room and several of the other Special Education classrooms, however, are half that size. Plus, I wasn't using my desk the way that it was intended. Several drawers ended up collecting junk and being catch-alls for things I didn't know how to store. It was time for a change.

Enter Pinterest.

Many pins and youtube videos later, I deduced that all I really needed was to have an organized desk surface and 3 drawers for the things that I use on a regular basis. The rest could be stored in the cabinets along the back wall. 

The result was two tables put together and then wrapped with some fabric I had purchased at Wal Mart a while back. Under one of the tables, I have a 3 drawer rolling cart (no locking) with extra pens, pencils, sticky notes, and my chromebook. 

It's been a month since I've started and it's gone well. As a long legged teacher, it's nice to be able to stretch your legs without hitting a large sheet of cold metal. The only thing I wish was different would be locking wheels on the cart. This can be easily solved if I can take the wheels out of the bottom of the three drawers. A task for Friday after the planning for next week is done! 

I'm still not ready to completely get rid of the huge desk - it stays up against the back wall and holds student supplies, tea, plastic utensils, and an electric kettle & 4 cup coffee maker. 

Comments